Saturday 24 August 2013

Hell comes in threes and the mysterious number 28, M4A1 76mm Shermans

Well my Hell on Wheels army is progressing nicely! Well it could be a Spearhead company depending on if I want confident veteran (Hell on Wheels) or confident trained (Spearhead). I have painted up three of my M4A1 76mm shermans. However I am leaving the last two for later so I can paint up my standard M4A1s to create the company command and core M4A1 platoon. So lets take a look!


Here they are, parked up for sunday mass in France!


Brrrrrreeeeeee. As Scott from Scott's War-gaming and Kapiti FoW Gamers once told us, making noises is MANDATORY!


The guy on the right is the platoon command and the guy on the left is Staff Sergeant Lafayette Pool all the way from Texas! As you can see Lafayette Pool has hedgerow cutters. Which raises a question, if you have a platoon of 3 tanks and half can have hedgerow cutters, do you round down and have one or round up and have 2? I guess it probably is only one.


As you probably know by now I like add a little extra to my forces, so here is my command proudly displaying the number of German tanks his platoon has destroyed! 28 and counting. I was actually thinking of doing this for real, after each game increasing the tally, however I couldn't wait to see how it would look. 


A rear view. The guy in the back is on carrying the spare gas duty! Hopefully a well aimed shot doesn't light the barrels.


Just for comparison, the M4A1 76mm (close) next to the M4A1 (far) to show the difference. The 76mm has a larger turret and gun of course and hard to see but a slightly larger body also.


The classic ridding off into the distance shot. All in all I am happy with these guys. The only complaints would be the difference in shading, the one on the far left is slightly lighter than the other tanks. This is probably because I am a bit of a stinge and water down black paint for my wash rather than use a pre-made wash. I have got my technique down for this now meaning a tad more consistency. The other thing is they are pretty dark, however I think that also helps them look very all American, don't know why but it does! 

9 comments:

  1. Looking good Steve, I like the tank count on the side. Good thing it isn't actual kills, as you would have never put any marks on it. I do love this army. Excited about fighting it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dan! I think it is a pretty cool army as well. I'm sure I will be able to add some more strikes to the tank count facing you!

      Delete
  2. They look great Steve, love the characterization you manage with your troops, the kill markings are very cool... 28 kraut tanks eh? just wait till you meet my panthers ! ;-)

    Oh, and don't give away all my secrets! Weeee Boom Aiiieeeee ! ;-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott, I enjoy trying to put my own personal touch on them. They may be able to at least bail out some panthers? Front armour 10 right? Well these 76mm have AT 12 so have a small chance of doing some serious damage and with stabilisers increases their chance of hitting.

      Err sorry about letting the cat out of the bag! It was good advice however.

      Delete
  3. Nice touches add quite a lot of personality to them great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work on these Shermans. Love the camo work and the lettering. Excellent work. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive. I love the tally marks, and with stabilisers and AT 12 you might suprise a few people with what you can do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys always appreciate the positive feedback!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...