Tuesday 19 November 2013

Gentlemen with Guns aka Boys with Toys

Over the last week I have been working through the blister pack of Gentlemen with Guns.  Robert over at Fiends in Waistcoats posted about some of the difficulties with one of the models (Hon Harold Carfax) in particular: see here.  Apart from those issues, this was a reasonably straightforward project.  I based them on Secret Weapon's cobblestone bases (from NZ's Slave to Painting), which I really like and which do help to give them a bit extra.

Here they are:

The Band of Brothers

Thomas Gunn

And again

John Rushkin


Hon Harold Carfax

And from Behind

Lord Carstairs

John Browne
From the front

And on the side
You will see that I tried out some new patterns on John Brown and Hon Harold Carfax there - it took me a while and I would be interested in everyone's views on that.  I toned down the pattern with a wash and a drybrush at the end, but I'm not sure whether it is too dull now.

Anyhow, pretty pleased with these fellows and they should get a run next Monday when we play Empire of the Dead next.

11 comments:

  1. Great brushwork on some fantastic characters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the patterns but I wouldn't tone them down any more than you all ready have.
    Those bases really do add something, these guys look great! Did you find my writeup of any help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did thanks - I didn't pin the gun in the end, but it helped me work out what it should look like.

      Delete
  3. I second Dean. Great work here and I think you've got it just right with the washed tartan. Love the crazed Carfax best of all I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comments already made, they look great. I've found I always get super-critical of something I've just finished painting because I've spent a fair chuck of time staring at it from a foot away. Once I've had a week or two away from it, and view it on the table top, details that bugged me don't matter any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. It takes a while to get over the critical stage.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful work Dan - I have yet to try and attempt plaid, and your efforts look fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These guys or should I say gentlemen look very cool! You did an amazing job with the shading and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job they all look wonderful sir! The patterns on the clothing are great I shall have to do something similar when I get round to doing mine. Did you pin the awkward gatling gunner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. No I didn't pin him in the end. I filed back the connections and glued and it seemed pretty string even though the hands didn't fully match up. I used a bit of green stuff to cover that up.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...